What is the PTA all about?
It's not just for fundraising, volunteering, and stay-at-home moms!
The PTA partners with families, our school, and the community to create a village for our kids. Getting involved in the PTA is a great way to network with other parents and connect with the teachers and school staff. It is a great way to be in the know about what is going on at the school.
There are volunteer opportunities, but that is not a requirement of members. If you would like to volunteer, we have a need for you whether you only have a few minutes one time during the year or can make a weekly commitment. And, not all volunteering has to be done during the school day. We will work with you to make being involved accessible to everyone.
While we do fundraise, it is not our focus. We have one big fundraiser at the beginning of the year to underwrite our many programs and events along with specific needs at the school. Our mission is to make every child's potential a reality!
How much does a PTA membership cost?
We want all people in the Maverick family to be able to support our mission of "making every child's potential a reality". To do that, we are trying our best to remove any barriers. New this year, there is no set dues cost, but a pay what you want structure--including nothing!
PTA-supported Programs at Mill Creek include:
- All Pro Dads - a renewed initiative to give dads and father figures time to bond with their children in the school setting
- Family Events - events held at school that are geared toward giving families an opportunity to spend time together and make connections with other families at the same time
- Grand Friends Club - a club for grandparents and grandparent-like friends of Mill Creek students; Grand Friends Day is an event that gives grand friends an opportunity to spend time with their grandchild in the classroom
- Holiday Store - a store that is set up in the library for students to come and shop for their family and friends around the holidays.
- Maverick Money Grants - money awarded from the PTA to help fund great ideas for classrooms and common areas of the school. Last year, we funded a rock wall for the gym, booking vending machine for the library, instruments for the music class, and more!
- Monthly Lunch Monitors - volunteers supervise kids for 30 minutes during lunch so that teachers can eat their lunch away from the cafeteria in a more peaceful setting
- Mickey the Mill Creek Mascot - school mascot who likes to make appearances at big events throughout the school year
- Read to Lead - a challenge that encourages kids to read while also serving as our only PTA fundraiser of the year
- Reflections Art competition - a national PTA program that recognizes and celebrates the arts from a diverse group of mediums, including photography, literature, choreography, music, film, and visual arts.
- Room Parents - The role of a room parent is being the direct liaison between the classroom teachers and the PTA. Room Parents help facilitate communication to parents/guardians, along with supporting the needs of the teacher as requested.
- School-wide Socials - social events for the entire school held at an off-site location once per semester
- Teacher and Staff Support - includes a back-to-school luncheon for the teachers and staff before school starts, various tokens of appreciation throughout the year, Teacher Appreciation Week in May, and celebration of national appreciation days.
Our goal is to keep you up-to-date on school happenings, volunteer opportunities, and other ways you can get involved at school. We send out information via email and on Facebook and Instagram, but we know that not everyone is on social media. We hope to make this website an information hub for all of the PTA news you receive so that you don't have to dig through your inbox to find that Sign-Up Genius link or event update you received days or weeks ago. Take a look around, and let us know if you have questions or ideas to share!